Monday, January 21, 2008

Doggie TIme

My sweet husband has been prepping my kids on wanting a dog. I told everyone no dog until Lydia can walk. Well, she's not walking but I know the time is near.

I'm scared.

I am finally sleeping through the night.

I only have one child left to potty train.

Why would I want a puppy? I told Scott if we get a dog I will NEVER get up with it. I figured I got up with three kids, I'm not getting up for a dog.

Scott has to build a fenced in area for the dog to go to the bathroom. I'm not in to having my children step in poo and then come running in the house to tell me about it.

Are we crazy to get a dog with little kids? I think a beagle is the option right now. No shedding!!!!

9 comments:

Christy Z said...

I'm waiting until Allie is in Kinder so that I can go to obedience classes with it and have the time to train it correctly. The kids really want one but it really is another "thing" to take care of. That's my advice!!!

That being said, I really want one and keep thinking about it myself. And my friends just got a beagle and she is SO cute!!!

Stephanie said...

I am cracking up. We have 2 large labs that are inside at night and nap times. I hate the hair. I hate the dust they bring in...and the wet feet on a day like today. But they are family. I tell B all the time we will not have any more inside dogs. But just yesterday I was at Petco and they had dogs there for adoption and there was a precious border collie/lab mix that was silently observing everyone and had the sweetest eyes I have ever seen and I knew....I will always be a dog person~ I know no shedding would be a huge blessing...but you need to go check out that dog. Her name was Lucy. I so want someone I know to adopt her. Border collies are supposed to be one of the smartest dogs alive (old sheep herders) and they are protective of kiddos!

Al's World said...

Beagles don't shed, but they DIG! If you don't want to get out and take the puppy to potty, you might not want to go out and chase the puppy around. :)

Lindsay said...

Yup, you're crazy! You know you'll be the one that ends up taking care of it all day long. Beagles sure are cute though. I'm lucky I have one who is allergic, so the temptation isn't so great! I like what Christy said, waiting until the kids are all in school and taking the time to train the dog well...maybe if Gabe gets better I'll do that...

Unknown said...

This made me laugh! Yes, if you get a dog with 3 kids you might be crazy. We got a dog with 4, and a big one at that! But, I have to say, it is nice for the kids to have someone to take care of and I enjoy the evenings when he collapses at my feet and wants to be petted. They add stress but, somehow, remove it as well!
And thank you for your sweet comment. If God can use my stumbles and struggles to bless someone then I say "hallelujah!"

Anonymous said...

OH. MY. GOSH! Don't do it, Carrie!!! I wish everyday that I didn't have to deal with Belle (our beagle). And they do shed... TERRIBLY!!! Beagles are sweet and cute and good with kids, but they are the most hard-headed animals on God's green earth. It will dig, and it chew up your kids' toys. Belle eats baby socks and pacifiers. I have had two beagles in my lifetime, so I know what I'm talking about here. And you will TOTALLY end up having to take care of it, which will be a gigantic pain in the rear! A beagle will DEFINITELY drive you crazier than you already are!!! Scott has no idea what he's asking of you!!!

Erin said...

DON'T DO IT!!! I wish everyday that we didn't have a dog or cat!! DON'T GIVE IN!!!

Star Molegraaf said...

Just have another baby instead! Hee
Hee!

Crystal said...

Ok, for starters I'm shocked I'm just now finding your blog (through Jenny's), ANYWAY, Just say NO to the beagle, I back Jenny on this... you have no idea, they are playful, full of energy, but they do shed and you will NOT get the sleep you so covet. I PROMISE!!! I would stick to my guns about waiting. Once you have one, it's a huge commitment and you haven't had any honeymoon time (you're not pregnant, nursing, or getting up in the middle of the night)...Just my two cents;)

So happy to have found your blog, can't believe I didn't know about it...

Crys